Monday, February 22, 2010

Blog #2

Observing the Overlooked:

On Saturday February 20th I sat down in the first floor boy’s dorm lobby. Pretending to read a book I sat in the dark corner and watched paid attention to my surroundings. I chose this spot because in order for me to go to the basement I take the stairwell traveling through entering the first floor. Not only do I travel here while going to the basement but I also walk past this particular lobby to my friend’s dorm room. Curious on the differences between living on the 3rd floor female lobby and what goes on the 1st floor male lobby sparked my interest to sit and notice for longer than 10 minutes. The first thing I noticed was the smell difference between floors. As the floor I live on smells of hairspray and perfume I noticed that the guy’s floor smelled of body odor and liquor. Not knowing if this was a typical smell I did notice there were different types of colorful boards on the walls. Not bright colors but different shades of red, green, blue, and orange were surrounding the hall. I was expecting a more lack of decoration for a male lobby but then I realized that the gay RA was in control of this area. Being a fairly clean space I then noticed I kept hearing several doors open and shut. In this time 4 people went to the bathroom, a group of people laughed loudly from their room, one person walked by in a towel, and two guys stumbled directly to a room. Quietly examining this, one of them seemed to bump into the wall. Still sitting on a lumpy, cushioned chair I waved at a tall guy with Mad Mush. This food then seemed to change the smell to body odor, liquor, and pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment