Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Observing the Overlooked





When I first heard what this assignment was all about I thought of one place and one place only. The passage between the ASTeCC Building and Anderson Tower. These buildings are located pretty much right in the heart of campus. Around these two building is some of the finest architecture on campus. I think this has to be one of the most overlooked areas on campus. People never really stop to observe how beautiful the area really is!


When I was standing in a corner observing the scenery I soon started to think that much didn’t go on here. I remember looking down at the concrete and thinking how clean the tunnel was as well. The picture is taken from right in the corner which I was standing in. Looking around the red brick walls of the tunnel seemed empty and boring. But soon enough (2 minutes later) an older woman came walking through and she stopped and looked around. I was wondering did she have bionic ears or something because I wasn’t making a sound. She then reached in her purse and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. Well so much for that campus wide smoking ban! I thought this was very funny. The things people do when they feel as if no one is around. A few moments later I assume a class let out because I could hear chatter of what seemed to be frustrated and giddy students. I heard two voices around the corner, talking. One was male and the other female. The girl was obviously on the phone and you could hear it in her voice she was upset. I was trying not to be seen and at the same time I didn’t want to intrude on her conversation and their privacy but then she started yelling. “Mom I can’t help it that I failed I really tried!” I soon heard a frustrated moan and the guy starts to comfort her with encouraging words. They soon storm through the tunnel without even noticing my presence. When they storm through “cigarette lady” puts her smoke out on the ground and grinded it into the ground and walked off as well. I was so happy the pungent smell of nasty smoke was gone.


I then felt this place was a place of comfort for many. Just from the short time I was there. I actually went over a few minutes because I didn’t want my presence to be noticed. I observed the wind breeze and the sound that it made when it blew through the tunnel. It sent certain peacefulness throughout tunnel. It made me understand why people would feel free to be themselves here. This is just the kind of environment that allows people to do so. So if your ever near the ASTeCC Building or the Anderson Tower you should stop and actually look around.


1 comment:

  1. I just was going through and saw this picture and thought it was an amazing looking place. I did not believe it was actually on campus! I don't know where Anderson Tower is but I could imagine myself enjoying a cup of tea by those stairs, especially if the weather stays warm, and feeling very relaxed. It seems like a place that would be very relaxing and I can totally see people making personal phone calls in there because it also seems quiet private. Cool place!

    ReplyDelete