Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Observing the Overlooked Part 2: Harriet/Harold the Spy


As I returned to the 4-way, I made sure to go during the morning when I assumed there would be more traffic. During my first visit I went around 3 pm, so this time I returned around 10:30 am on my way to class Tuesday morning. The atmosphere didn't appear to be as busy as before when I first began observing the 4-way. Everything around me seemed to be more chill and slightly quieter. Most of the snow that laid amongst the dry brittle grass and rocky pavement had vanished, and all that remained were small patches. Cars were moving at a much slower pace, as the morning rush was just about over. There was no need for anyone to be rushing, unless there were extremely late. There was a lot of wind this morning, just minus the snow flurries whisking through the air. The pedestrian traffic was at a minimum as well. Most students were nowhere to be found, unless they were heading in the opposite direction I was, towards their dorms. There was no hockey sign sitting on the corner this morning, yet. It was too early to smell the unfortunate scent of spicy chicken strips and french fries from K-Lair frying around the corner.

Later, I returned around 12 pm. The sun was hidden behind the clouds, so the beams weren't beaming down on my face as they were before. Instead, the hidden sun added to the cooler temperature, making it feel colder than the previous days filled with snow that I recorded. It made for a gloomy afternoon, with almost a look of rain looming in the sky. As the evening progressed, I made a third trip around 6:30. At this time, the familiar smell of chicken and fries, sure enough, arose. Along with a smell of greasiness, I could smell cups of hot chocolate from neighboring students that happened to be making their way across the 4-way after leaving Ovids. You never really pay attention to what surrounds you, especially when you pass these locations numerous times, daily. I realize now that different people cross the same paths I do that I've never seen before. I also smelled the food that I try my hardest to tune out from my senses (K-Lair's grossness). You never know where your footprints have led you until you retrace your steps and take a second look. Then you'll come across things you never saw before and learn things about your surroundings that you once took for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment