Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Observing the Overlooked, Part 2


Blog Assignment #2, Part 2



For this blog assignment I chose to observe from a place that I pass everyday on the way to class. It is a little patio located between the Taylor Education Building and Dickey Hall. The reason I chose this spot is because I pass it everyday and I have never noticed it really until this blog was assigned and I needed somewhere to observe from. But once I started hanging out here I started to notice things the longer I stayed in this spot.


The first day I sat there, I noticed little things. For instance, I noticed some students smoking while passing, which is illegal. I also noticed some people struggling to parallel park their cars, and also some students rushing because they were late for a meeting or a class. On this trip I also noticed an odd smell in the air that was hard to explain.


On the second day I started to notice things besides the students and cars passing. I started notice things like the big sculpture located on the patio, (seen in the picture), and I also noticed the worker there was doing the same exact thing he was doing the last time I was there. This sculpture interested me because I had never really noticed it before and it wasn’t really a picture of anything just like a big flower or sun.


When it came to the third day of observing the overlooked, I started to notice the same stuff was going on as the times before. I noticed the same people passing, same cars parked on the road, sane worker working, and same distinct smell. This is interesting because I pass this spot everyday and I’ve never noticed any of this going on around me. I guess this means that this spot is truly overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment