Thursday, January 28, 2010

On Rick Smolan

Class,

Kara posted this in the comments to the Barber video, but it belongs in a post all its own. Remember to make new posts rather than continuing the comments of an older one when you have something new to discuss. Anyway, here's Kara:


I really enjoyed wayching the TED video on the little girl from Korea. What I noticed most about his story was how passionately he told it. I think speaking or writing about something that means something to you or that you care about makes your story that much more interesting. He kept referrencing how the story was unscripted. And how things like a fire or confrontation with uncle over adoption were things that just happened and he didn't see them coming. Watching the video I had no idea a fire was going to come either, but that was great. The video taught me that being passionate in my writing and telling my story for what it is makes an interesting combination.

2 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed the TED video. I thought it was narrated in a unique style. It will definitely help me with our first writing project by being able to tell a story through a picture. I thought it was interesting that the photos progressed as the story continued on. I also didn't see the fire coming. He did a good job at leading from one point to another without having to constantly re-stage everything. Overall, I really enjoyed the TED video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The TED video gave me perspective as to how important photos can be to telling a story. I do not think I would have been as engaged without having been able to see what the situation was like. Sometimes people like to be able to try and put together the story in their head and imagine it for themselves, but I think that is difficult especially when it comes from an experience you have not been a part of or cannot relate to. I think the video really helped me to learn how to have a voice when talking about my own photograph and how to best engage the audience.

    ReplyDelete